Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Wayback View – The Syndicate - 1940

How feature writers and journalists distributed their articles to newspapers and magazines in 1940.

Please press the play arrow to view the video. Note that it may stop for a moment while the video buffers in the background.

The video includes a short clip of a journalist bashing away at a typewriter. Interestingly, when I was in high school during the early 1960s, I was not allowed to take typewriting classes because I was a boy. Typewriting was apparently "women's work" and only girls could enroll in typing classes. This infuriated my father, since, as a member of the British military police, he had to learn to type in order to fill out his reports and thought that everyone should be able to use a typewriter. In the wisdom of the day, the school enrolled me in a technical drawing class - which girls were not permitted to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment